Thursday, August 27, 2020

Ashley's Introduction

 


Hello everyone! My name is Ashley, and this is my dog Diesel.  He's much better looking than me.  I am an older student who has returned to school after a 20+ year break.  I am currently an Art Ed major.  I recently began learning to use software to create art digitally and have even published my own website.  I have found, over the course of the summer, that I love the digital platform.  I still have a long way to go to become proficient, but it has become my passion. I also love music and hiking.

Aurochs, horses, and rhinoceroses, wall painting in the Chauvet Cave (Pont d'Arc (from the cave replica), France, c. 30,000 - 28.,000 B.C.E. or c. 15,000 - 13,000 B.C.E. (photo: Claude Valette, CC BY-SA 4.0)

Panel of Hourses, wall painting in the Chauvet Cave (image from the Caverne du Pont d’Arc replica), France, c. 30,000 – 28.,000 B.C.E. or c. 15,000 – 13,000 B.C.E. (photo: Claude Valette, CC BY-SA 4.0)

I wanted to share this wall painting because I am fascinated that our ancestors, who lived during the same time as the wooly mammoth, had the drive to create something so spectacular.  Obviously, we have no written accounts and can only speculate, but some experts believe that this could be our first attempt at animation.  If you look at the wall you see animals layered/stacked upon themselves.  Now, add in the fact that this was painted deep inside a cave where the only light would have been that of a flickering fire, and you may be able to understand what they were up to.  This is just one theory of course, but I like this theory the best.  I also love the stylized way in which the animals were drawn. Did Picasso maybe sneak a couple of peaks at these guys before working on his bull series? 


Dr. Asa Simon Mittman, "Religion: spotlight — Chauvet cave," in Smarthistory, July 27, 2019, accessed August 27, 2020, https://smarthistory.org/overview/look-at-this-an-art-appreciation-course/theme-religion/.



 

6 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley, I too have been learning digital art for the past year or so and it's super fun, so look forward to learning everything there is about it. Also your dog is really cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hopefully, we will see each other on campus someday and can share tips and tricks!

      Delete
  2. Hi Ashley,

    The art you chose is very interesting. We indeed may only wonder what were they up to. It might have been, like scientist say, first attempt in animation, or it was like a organizer for them where they would write down what needed to be done, or they might've been bored and practiced their artistic skills. We may only wonder.

    Nonetheless, it is a fascinating art. And you do have a pretty dog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree that they were probably just bored. I can't imagine not even having a book around to read on a cold or rainy day. My dog thanks you!

      Delete
  3. Hi Ashley, can I just say that your dog is precious and I am also an Art Education Major. It's awesome that you have been learning digital art, that subject is very difficult for me, I would love to check out your website some time.
    I absolutely love the art work you chose it shows so much history and culture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dog thinks that you are very smart! Digital is still very difficult. I found that I enjoy watching other artists on Youtube not just because I am a fan, but because they break it down into language that I understand. Chipkocreations.net is my website. It's still in the construction stage and best viewed on a computer. I hope you like it. It seems we have at least one other class together

      Delete

Pollock's Passion

Artist Jackson Pollock dribbling sand on painting while working in his studio - Photo by Martha Holmes image source                         ...